Friday, October 29, 2021

Aspen

On Monday October 25th I drove out to a small lumber yard 20km south of Calmar.  Minchau Lumber is a small operation that makes a number of specialty products.  I ordered a bunch of 1x6 Tongue and Groove Aspen Paneling back in the spring.  I also ordered a small amount of 1x4 balsam to use for baseboards and maybe some casing.  This will all become the interior finishing of the new guest cottage.  I expect that I will probably not heat the guest cottage over the cold winter months, so I don't want to finish with drywall.  I am concerned that the drywall joints may crack in the cold.
The aspen was dried over the summer months and then cut and planed in early October.  A short time ago Martin advised me that it was ready for pick up.  
I have about 6000 lineal feet of material, in various lengths.  I headed out on Monday morning and picked up the first load.  On Tuesday I went back out for a second load.  I managed to get all the remaining material on a second load and did not need to make a third trip.  I will store this material in the city, and take it out to Nordegg when I am ready for it in the spring.  I intend to use a lacquer finish on this wood, and that needs to be applied in a well ventilated space, at temperatures above freezing.  So it seems unlikely I will get to this paneling material before the spring.  But there is lots of other work for me to continue with over the winter.








No comments: