Thursday, October 14, 2021

Rough In

Over the Thanksgiving weekend I spent a few hours every day, working in the guest cottage.  The weather was not great, and it was rather cold at times, but I'm hoping to be able to get things to the point that I can insulate the building, and work inside a little over the winter months.
The first step is to get all the electrical roughed in and inspected.  Once that is done, then I can insulate.  With insulation is place I should be able to set up some temporary heat and work inside on milder days.
I managed to get almost all of the electrical boxes installed.  There are few on the exterior, that I can not cut in until the siding is on.
I struggle to understand electrical wiring, even though I helped my friend Rob when he wired our main cottage for us.  I understand just enough to be dangerous... I think.
I will need to get someone that understands electrical better than I do, to help me with the rough in.  But, I want to do as much as I can in the meantime.  The more that I can get roughed in, the less I will need help with later.  As it is late in the season and I am up against winter weather, I can't wait forever.  So, I strung as much of the wire as I could.  I ran standard cable from receptacle to receptacle within the same circuit.  I also ran cable from switches to light fixtures.  I did not attempt any of the "home run" supply lines as I'm not sure of the best location to tie in to a circuit.  I also left alone any circuits with two way switches, or higher load supply.  By Thanksgiving Monday I had done just about all that I can.  There are a couple more runs of wire that I can put in, and then I need to look to getting some help.  In the meantime I will apply for my electrical permit.  That way, as soon as things get finished up, I can get an inspection done and start on insulation.











No comments: