Thursday, October 28, 2021

Quinn

On Monday October 25th the girls and I had to say our goodbye's to the family dog.  Quinn was fifteen years old and lived a really good life.  She was adored by three young girls that grew up with her.  During a recent veterinary examination it was found that she had a large tumour on her liver and spleen.  It was an aggressive cancer that was spreading through her body.  She was getting on in dog years and had a number of other ailments that were not as serious.  The tumour had some lesions on it, and there was a risk that at any time it could rupture and she would be in agonizing pain.  We got a second opinion from another vet and he said exactly the same thing.  Quinn slept a lot and was easily tired.  She was also almost deaf, and had bad cataracts.  She panted a lot as she tried to draw enough oxygen to overcome her anemia.  But she was not in any pain.  On Sunday the girls spoiled her and took her out for a couple of walks, including her favorite dog park.  They spoiled her with lots of food and treats.  But by Monday afternoon the time had come and the girls took her to the vet for the end....
I'm not much of animal lover and wish that we didn't have as many pets as we do.  But this old dog held a soft spot with me and I was really saddened when the end came.  I could not bring myself to go to see her put down... so I went and picked up some lumber instead.  It is indeed a very sad day.  As I write this I am drinking a toast of scotch to a really sweet old dog that was a big part of our family...

Back in 2008 I took some studio portraits of the girls with my 8x10 view camera.  At the time Margarit was pregnant with Helena.  Hailey would have been five or six years old and Annelise would have been two or three.  At the time Quinn would have been one or two.  I included scans of those three negatives here, as well as some more recent snapshots.








No comments: