Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Comparison of Infrared to Panchromatic Film

When I am out photographing with my view camera it is a rather slow and methodical process.  Once I have found something that I want to photograph I have to give some consideration as to the best angle of view.  Placement of the camera and lens selection is carefully considered.  Once I have reached that decision, the tripod and the camera are set up.  Then comes the process of focusing the camera, and undertaking any necessary movements.  The front and rear standards of the camera can be raised and lowered, shifted side to side, tilted forward or back, and swung left or right.  This controls not only the perspective of the subject, but also the plane of focus.  Then once I am all set up I have to meter the scene with my spot meter.  I take readings off of various elements within the scene and decide what exposure is needed to properly record the scene.  This also establishes the subject brightness range allowing me to make a decision as to how the film will be processed and thereby adjust contrast.  At this point I also decide if any filters will be used, to adjust tonal separation between various elements within the scene.  This entire process usually takes 10 to 15 minutes.  Once I am ready to make the photograph I usually expose two or more sheets of film.  This is done for several reasons.  One, it teaches me which types of film respond best to various lighting situations, and also allows me to try different filters and development routines.  Equally important, it provides me with a backup negative, in case one of the pieces of film ends up getting damaged.  Between the loading of the film into the film holders prior to exposure, to unloading the film after exposure, dust spots on the film, as well as possible damage or fogging during processing and handling, it is a relatively common occurrence to have some negatives with flaws ranging from minor to significant.
Often times when I feel that the subject suits it, or if the lighting conditions look promising, I will expose a sheet of infrared film, in addition to one or more sheets of typical panchromatic black and white film.  As I outlined in my previous blog posts I like to shoot with Kodak High Speed Infrared Film in 4" x 5" sheet film format.  I have attached three examples that compare the same scene shot on Infrared and typical panchromatic black and white film.  The differences are considerable.  In the infrared negatives skies are darker, clouds are whiter and brighter, and living vegetation is lighter and sometimes glows.  Water generally turns quite dark and some subject elements are surprisingly reflective of infrared wavelengths...




No comments: