Monday, July 28, 2014

Bruce Stampede

They've been holding a rodeo out in Bruce, Alberta... about 100km East of Edmonton, since 1914.  This past weekend was the 101st Annual Stampede.  We wanted to go out for Saturday, which was the local rodeo, with all the fun events... Mutton Bustin', Greased Pig Scramble, Wild Cow Milking... all the kids stuff.  But when we got up on Saturday morning, it was cool, cloudy and raining.  So, we decided to go on Sunday instead.  This was the Pro-Rodeo with all the official events.  It dawned warm and sunny, with barely a cloud in the skies.  We headed out to Bruce just after lunch.  Our friends Shelly, Eric and Amy met us out there.  We had a great time watching all the events and enjoying the western atmosphere.  Later in the afternoon there was a great roast beef dinner.  We ended up spending the entire day, and it was around 9:00PM before we finally made it back home.
I was trying out the new digital camera that I recently bought.  There was absolutely no way I could attempt to photograph a rodeo with a view camera, so I settled for digital.  I probably could have tried it with my 35mm film camera, but I don't have one with auto-focus, so it probably would have yielded a lot of wasted film.
Early in the afternoon we were seated up in the grandstand, watching the events from there.  Later in the afternoon I moved down to a perch on top of the corral fence, right beside the chutes.  It was here that I got some of the better action shots, as well as a bunch of the portraits of the cowboys...


















No comments: