Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Weekend Day Trips

I have been so busy in recent weeks that I have fallen behind in posting updates to my blog.  Between winding down the summer hockey season, organizing the family reunion, and dealing with the East Coulee property zoning appliciatoion, I had a lot of things on my plate.  I am now attempting to catch up.  Back in mid-June we ended up staying home for the weekend and not heading out with the trailer. The forecast was calling for rainy conditions and we thought it a waste of time to be stuck sitting somewhere in the trailer.  As it turned out, the weather was pretty nice, at least here around Edmonton. Though it seems that to the south and the west of the city it did rain as the forecast had suggested.  I ended up heading out for a couple of day trips.
On Saturday June 14th I headed out by myself.  I explored a couple of old abandoned schoolhouses, as well as some old farm buildings.  The big view camera came out a couple of times and I shot some film, mostly of the interior of one of the schools.








The next day, Sunday June 15th, I headed out again, and this time my daughter Hailey came a long with me.  We stopped at the World's Largest Sausage in Mundare, and the World's Largest Mallard Duck in Andrew.  We also explored a couple of old farm yards, and saw a bit of wildlife too.  One of the sloughs that we stopped at was home to a lot of birds, including some Yellow Headed Blackbirds, and a couple of "Bluebills", properly known as Ruddy Ducks.  Late in in the afternoon as we made our way home and passed through Elk Island National Park, we also saw some Canada Geese with their goslings.  These guys are getting to be a pretty good size already.  I guess they have to grow up and fledge pretty quickly in order to make the big migration south in the fall.  Once again the big view camera came out a couple of times to record some of the things that we found.









No comments: