Saturday, September 5, 2026

Infrared Coleman Snowplow

This is another rediscovered image.  The film was exposed some time ago, but relatively recently processed.  This old snowplow, like my previous post of the Mack Dumptruck, was photographed at the Reynolds Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin, Alberta.
This is a scan of a sheet of Kodak High Speed Infrared film.  This particular negative is rather dense and experienced some fogging.  That is not a total surprise given that the film has been discontinued for over two decades, and hit its best before date in August of 2001.
I have recently learned that if I load the film shortly before using it, and then immediately unload the exposed film and return it to refrigeration, it works much better.  I don't think I took enough care with this one.  The film was loaded into a film holder in September of 2023, but was not exposed until June of 2024.  It sat around at room temperature during this extended period of time, and probably out in my camera bag on some warm days.  I did unload the film shortly after exposing it, and kept it refrigerated until I developed it this past spring.  But the damage was likely already done.  All the same, I still managed to salvage a reasonable image.
I rated this sheet of Kodak High Speed Infrared at 100 iso.  I exposed it with a #25 Red Filter, to block much of the visible light and expose the film more so with infrared wavelengths.  As a result it was not necessary to add any extra exposure as a filter factor.  I developed the film in Kodak T-Max developer, 1:6, for 6:45 minutes at 24C.  The film was developed on March 20th of this year.
I took this photograph on June 9th of 2024 at about 3:15 in the afternoon.  I used my Ebony SV45TE view camera and a wide 75mm lens.  The exposure was for 1/15 second at F16.0.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment