Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Flooded Birch

I took this photograph back in July when Margarit and I were returning to the city from a day trip.  I was fascinated at the contrast of the dead birch trunks that had been drowned in this beaver pond.  This was taken in Elk Island National Park.
I added this sheet to a batch of film that I was processing, the day after taking the shot.  This is a scan of a 4" x 5" sheet of Ilford FP4+ film, rated at 160 iso and given N+1 Development in Kodak HC-110 developer, dilution B, for 14:20 minutes at 20C.  This development expands contrast by one stop.  The sky was rather blank due to smoky conditions from forest fires in British Columbia.  But I hoped that the extra development would make the birch trunks stand out against the darker background.  I also added a #25 Red Filter to further pump up the contrast.
I took this photograph on July 24th of 2026 at about 5:15 in the afternoon.  I used my Ebony SV45TE view camera and a Fujinon 250mm lnes.  The exposure was for 1/2 second at F29.0.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment