Tuesday, August 11, 2026

The Latest Line Wash

I used to call these colorized sketches, but I think "Line Wash" is a little more accurate description.  I did a bunch of these when I was first learning how work with watercolors.  But in the past year or two I've been focused on images from various Beer Parlour Project outings.  We have an exhibition coming up at the Art Gallery of Alberta in early 2028, so perhaps I will include a couple of these along with all my photos.
I start by sketching out an image, based on one of my photographs.  Then I use watercolors to put in a wash of color.  After that I continue working with both graphite and ink, to detail things in, and shade everything properly.  I can't really claim to be an artist, but I think these are turning out OK, for a color blind old duffer like me.
This one is from BP14.0 when Chris and I visited the Cadillac Hotel, in Cadillac Saskatchewan.  Sadly, shortly after our visit in June of 2024, the hotel abruptly closed.  The townsfolk were devastated at losing their watering hole and restaurant, and there was no advance warning.  To the best of my knowledge it was for sale for some time, but has not yet re-opened.
Life has been so busy and I haven't found much time to work on this stuff.  I first started laying this one out back in April of 2026.  Here we are four months later and I've finally finished it off.  Hopefully the next ones that I attempt will come to life a little faster.










No comments:

Post a Comment