Saturday, October 12, 2024

In Focus YEG 2025

Just in advance of the October 15th deadline I entered four of my images into the InFocus YEG competition and exhibition.  I have been involved in this show since its inception over a decade ago, and know the founder and curator, Alexis Marie Chute, quite well.  I haven't had work in every show, but I have been exhibited in most of them.
This time around there is a theme... Light and Shadow.  I have so many photography projects on the go and so many things that I am shooting and printing for.  This time around I just did not have the luxury of shooting something specific for this show.  So instead I dug back into my archive of nearly 10,000 large format negatives and selected four that fit the theme... at least in my mind.
None of these have been printed before so if any of them are accepted I will need to print and frame them specifically for the show.

I included a photograph of Bryce Canyon National Monument that I shot when my friends Rob and Brad visited with me, on our first trip down to Utah.  This section of the park is known as Silent City.  This photograph was taken on October 19th 2013, at about 5:15 in the afternoon.  I used my Ebony SV45TE view camera and a Fujinon-A 240mm lens, fitted with a #25 Red Filter.  The film was Kodak High Speed Infrared, and it was rated at 100iso and processed in T-Max Developer, 1:6, for 6:45 minutes at 24C.  The exposure was F22.0 and a shutter speed of 1/15 second.

The second image is of the Timber Bridge in East Coulee.  This Bridge has now been barricaded and public access is no longer permitted.  The bridge is slowly beginning to collapse and efforts to restore it are in their early stages.  This photograph was taken on August 9th 2014, at about 7:50 in the evening.  I used my Ebony SV45TE view camera and a Schneider Super Symmar XL 80mm lens, fitted with a #25 Red Filter.  The film was Kodak T-M100, and it was rated at 200iso and processed in X-Tol Developer, 1:1, for 12:00 minutes at 20C.  The exposure was F22.0 and a shutter speed of 1/2 second.

The third image is of an old stairway, with a newell post, in an abandoned house northeast of Edmonton.  This photograph was taken on April 18th 2015, at about 4:00 in the afternoon.  I used my Ebony SV45TE view camera and a Fujinon-W 125mm lens, with no filter.  The film was Arista EDU 200, and it was rated at 200iso and processed in 510 Pyro Developer, 1:200, for 30:00 minutes at 24C.  The film was given semo-stand development, with minimal agitation in an attempt to support the shadow values.  The exposure was F29.0 and a shutter speed of 4 seconds.

The last one was a shot of some levers in an old abandoned grain elevator.  This shot was taken when I was out on a day trip with my brother Wes, south of Calgary.  This photograph was taken on January 24th 2016, at about 11:55 in the morning.  I used my Ebony SV45TE view camera and a Nikkor SW 65mm lens, with no filter.  The film was Kodak T-Max 100, and it was rated at 200iso and processed in X-Tol Developer, 1:1, for 12:00 minutes at 20C.  The exposure was F32.0 and a shutter speed of 30 seconds.

It remains to been seen if any of these images are accepted for exhibition.  Based on my track record at this event, I'm virtually certain that at least one of them will be.  Before the end of 2024 the results will be announced, which will provide me with [hopefully?] enough time to print and frame anything that I will be accepted to exhibit.   Stay tuned.....




No comments:

Post a Comment