Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Memorial

In early May my uncle Ben passed away.  He was just a few months short of his 99th birthday.  He had a long life, and remained relatively healthy until near the end.  Margarit and I attended the celebration of life in Wetaskiwin last week on May 9th.
At the age of 12 uncle Ben was sent away from his parents and siblings to live with his widowed grandmother and bachelor uncle.  Although their farm was only a few miles from his parents and siblings, he had a rather isolated upbringing.  Things were tough back in those days.
Uncle Ben's memorial started with a graveside service.  That was followed by a full funeral at one of the churches in Wetaskiwin.  Uncle Ben went to the church that his grandmother and uncle went to, which was not the same one that his parents and siblings attended.  His grave, and the service were at the Emmaus Lutheran Church.  We found the headstones of his grandmother... my great-grandmother, and his uncle... my great uncle.
Great Grandmother Anna Brauman was predeceased by her husband Herman in 1920.  She lived her remaining 49 years as a widow.  I vaguely remember her, as I was about six years old when she passed away.  I have a photograph of her holding me as a baby.  My great uncle Fred Brauman only lived to 45 and passed away long before I was born.
It was interesting to get this little reminder of my past.  And later, after the funeral service I got to reconnect with a number of my cousins.  Although it was a somber occasion, it was a good day too.




No comments: