Friday, April 14, 2023

A Drive East

On Easter Saturday I took a drive to the southeast of the city.  Although the snow is quickly disappearing around the Edmonton area, further to the southeast more snow still remains on the ground.  The melt is well underway, but it seems there was more snow there to begin with, so it is slower to disappear.
Saturday was one of the nicest days of the year so far, and the temperature got up to about +14 late in the day.  It was clear and sunny all day long, with only a light breeze.
I took a drive out to the Viking Ribstones historic site.  Years ago when I first visited the place there was no fence around it, and it was easier to photograph.  The site is sacred to first nations people and they leave offerings here of tobacco, beads, sweet grass, tea, coins, and bones.  Prayer flags are tied to the fences and to a small grove of nearby trees.
I shot here with both my 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras.  Maybe something works for the Apparitions project...?  On my way back to the city I checked out a number of the small towns along Highway 14.  I was looking for small town hotel taverns that may prove to be good locations to explore for the Beer Parlor project.  I found a couple, as well as a small unused church that was really photogenic.










No comments: