Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Weekdays in Nordegg

The girls hung around Nordegg with me for a couple of days.  On Monday the 27th of March we made a run to the dump, and then headed back to the cottage.  I worked for a while in the guest cottage, and then just kind of hung around with the girls.  On Tuesday I dug out the snowmobile and we tried to take it for a spin.  We didn't get very far as the snow is disappearing very quickly.  Although it was -19C on Tuesday morning, it warmed up to +7 in the afternoon.  Where else but the mountains in Alberta could you get a temperature swing of over 25 degrees in less than 12 hours.  There is actually still quite a bit of snow left, but on the trails and in the open it is quickly melting away.  I spent the afternoon putting the snowmobiles away for the season, and getting the ATV's ready for spring.
The girls decided to head back to the city in the afternoon.  I was not impressed when I discovered that they had dirtied every bowl, most of the cups, and all the spoons, and then left without doing any of the dishes.  
On Wednesday morning I got up and did all the dishes....!!  Then I worked in the guest cottage for a little while.  I am in the process of priming and painting all of the parts for the bathroom vanity.  I hope to get it put together before I head back to the city, but the painting is rather slow going.  In the afternoon I took a drive up to the Kootenay Plains.  There was some fresh snow along the David Thompson Highway all the way past Abraham Lake.  Even the ice on the lake was covered, and despite the fact that there wasn't much wind, it was not really a good day to photograph the ice.  Up at the Kootenay Plains there was virtually no snow.  I wandered around and photographed some aspen groves for a while.  I came upon a site that belongs to the First Nations.  I believe this is associated with the Bighorn Band near Nordegg, but I'm not really sure.  No one was around so I respectfully checked out the Sundance Lodges that are built in the area.  I know that the First Nation's people occasionally hold ceremonies here during the summer months.
It was nice up there, and the temperature peaked at about +6C.  I got back to the cottage at about 3:00 and put another coat of paint on all the vanity components.  Back at the cottage the temperature made it up to +9C.
With all the alternating between cold and warm temperatures over the past couple of months there was an accumulation of snow melt that refroze to ice on the back of my old truck.  I didn't pay enough attention to it and sweep it away.  I discovered now that it has collapsed the Roll-N-Lock cover on the truck.  I managed to clear some of it away on Tuesday, and with the warm temperatures on Wednesday I was able to remove the last of it.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to salvage the cover, or if I will have to remove it and dispose of it.   Time will tell... 









No comments: