Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Just Another Workday

I headed out to Nordegg on the afternoon of Saturday April 15th.  I originally planned to head down to East Coulee, and pick up some stuff at the shop, and then meet up with Chris and Connie.  But our plans to visit one of the small town hotel taverns for the Beer Parlor project did not materialize.  Instead I left a little later and headed directly to Nordegg.
Sunday was a beautiful day and it was sunny and got up to about +16.  The snow was quickly disappearing.  I helped my neighbor with a couple of things, and then dug out my tablesaw and cut up some material.  Later I got my contractor Scott to move a little dirt in front of the guest cottage for me.
This allowed me to level a spot to place the air conditioner condenser.
I visited with several neighbors during the course of the day, and in the evening had a nice BBQ for dinner.  By Sunday evening pretty much everybody from the subdivision went home and it was gloriously quiet once again.
I spent my 60th birthday on Monday April 17th working for the entire day.  I started out by assembling the remaining drawers for the cabinets.  There are a total of six drawers, including the one in the bathroom vanity.  I only had all the pieces made for four of them, and these are the ones that I assembled.  I am short some 1/2" baltic birch plywood to make the bottoms for the last two.  I was going to pick some up from my stock in East Coulee, but that part of the trip fell through, so those last two drawers will have to wait for a bit.
After that I installed hardwood to the face of the bathroom vanity.  I filled all the nail holes in everything and I'm ready for final sanding and then application of paint to the vanity, and lacquer to the drawers.  I procrastinated for quite a while, and then eventually motivated myself to work on the electrical.  I routed all of the remaining wiring over the to main panel... with the exception of one additional circuit that I have to set up for the tank alarms.  I managed to bash my head on the low joists and beam down in the crawlspace/basement a couple of times... hit it pretty hard too...!  I'm sporting a couple of goose eggs on my noggin but don't think I did any damage to the beam.
After that I shovelled a little more dirt and gravel and did the final leveling of the spot where the A/C condenser will sit.  Then I carried over the concrete sidewalk block that I had stored over by our firepit on the main property, and brought it over in front of the guest cottage.  With that in place I started on the wiring.  I installed the exterior box on the wall near where the A/C unit will sit.  I ran the wires into it for both the power supply and the thermostat connection.  Everything here is now ready for the mechanical contractor to come out and finish the installation.
Afterwards when I got my electrician friend Rob to check the photo of what I had done, he advised that I had a couple of wires reversed.  No harm done, as nothing is energized yet, but I'll be sure and fix that up right away.
It was about 7:00PM when I finished everything, and I was beat.  My back was reminding me that I'm now officially to old to be dragging concrete sidewalk blocks through the bush and up onto a mound of dirt.  I settled down to make a pasta dinner for myself, and to watch the first playoff game of the season for the Edmonton Oilers.







No comments: