Sunday, April 9, 2023

Building Drawers

With the Renegades hockey victory on Friday night this delayed the start of our playoff games and as a result I was able to stay in Nordegg for an extra day.
On April Fool's Day I spent most of the day working in the guest cottage.  I sanded all the drawer parts that I had cut the day before.  Then I applied two coats of lacquer to all the interior surfaces.  It is much easier to finish this material now, before everything is put together.
I was finally able to start using the plastic laminate that I bought months ago.  I bought two sheets in a retro "charcoal boomerang" pattern.  This is the same material that is on our dinette table.  I will be using it for the counter tops in the kitchen and on the bathroom vanity.  I have enough of it, and will also use it on the bottoms of the cabinet drawers.  This was the material that I cut up today.  With this plastic finish on the drawer bottoms it is difficult to finish the interior drawer sides without getting it all over the laminate.  For this reason that I applied the lacquer now... prior to assembly.
I'm short two pieces of plywood... one for the bottom of a kitchen drawer and a second for the bottom of the vanity drawer.  But I got all the laminate glued onto the bottoms of the other four drawers.  The next time I come out to work I will bring more plywood, and get started on the assembly.






No comments: