Friday, December 2, 2022

Damn Cold.....

It was -23C when I got up in Nordegg on November 30th.  It never really warmed up much during the day, and by sundown the clouds and fog lifted and it cleared right off.  It was -25 by dinner time, and supposed to drop down to -30 overnight.  Well the forecast was wrong... it got colder than that overnight.  My weather station recorded -35C just as it was starting to get light.
I procrastinated all morning, not wanting to go out in the cold to pack the truckload of lumber I had brought out, into the cottage.  I spent a great deal of time on the phone, trying to resolve my outstanding insurance claim for hail damage to my trucks.  Finally, by about 1:00, I ventured outside to brave the cold.  It had warmed up to a balmy -19 by this point.  I had 1x4's, 1x8's, 2x6's, quarter rounds, underlay and 3/4" plywood in the back of my truck.  I finally got it all packed in to the guest cottage by mid afternoon.
I got the fire going in there and nicely warmed the place up.  Then I set to work building the first of the three interior doors.  It all went pretty well, but with such a late start, I did not accomplish a lot.  But now everything is inside, and I can continue to work no matter what the weather.
The deer have been coming back to the property in the past couple of days.  I saw a group of seven in the morning, and then a short time later... two more.  Later in the afternoon two different bucks wandered by. I got a phone snapshot of the smaller of the two as he wandered past my window.  Hunting season ends today, so these guys that have survived should calm down a lot and be hanging around on a more regular basis.





No comments: