Friday, December 9, 2022

A Day of Rest

On the afternoon of Saturday December 3rd it really warmed up.  I worked in the cottage for a while to finish up the doors.  Then I put a roasting chicken in the oven for dinner.  I had hoped that Margarit, and maybe the girls would come out to join me for dinner, but they decided to stay in the city.
It finally warmed up during the day and that evening it was really clear.  The moon is almost full and there were lots of stars in the sky.  But this time there was no arctic air mass parked on top of us, and overnight temperatures stayed really mild.  I took a phone snapshot out my bedroom window at about 10:45 and the guest cottage next door was clearly visible, and the moonlight shining through the trees, onto the snow, was really beautiful.
On Sunday it remained warm.  I lacked motivation to do much of anything.  After morning coffee I started my truck, for the first time in several days.  I fully expected the warning system to kick in and advise that my DEF reservoir had frozen.... again... but this time it did not.
I went into town and filled a jerry can with fuel.  Then I stopped at the Beehive and dropped off a calendar.  I took a short drive south on the Trunk road up to the Industrial Park, and then north on the Trunk Road.  I saw a Spruce Grouse and a Ruffed Grouse, but not the wild horses that I was hoping for.  I stopped once and set up my 4x5 to take shot of Coliseum Mountain, with horse tracks in the foreground snow.  This was the first large format image I've taken since October.  I drove east out to Harlech, hoping for some open water on the creek, but there was very little.  About this time the clouds rolled in and the light became very heavy and dull.
I ended up back at the cottage... not doing much of anything....




No comments: