Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Work Continues.....

Thursday December 1st was another really cold day out at Nordegg.  The temperature dropped overnight to -33C... almost as cold as the night before.  By Friday it seemed like it might be starting to break a little.  It got cloudy through most of the day, so perhaps the high pressure system that brought the deep freeze is moving on.  The temperature on Friday made it up to -17C.  The forecast suggests that temperatures will rise significantly in the coming days.
I spent all day Thursday and Friday working in the guest cottage.  By the end of the day Friday I had completed fabrication of all three of the interior doors.  Now I can move on to final preparations for finishing.  There is some sanding needed, and I have to rout out for the hinges, and then chamfer some edges.  Once that is done I can begin painting of the doors.
On Friday evening after dinner I took the old fashioned door latches apart so that I could reverse the mechanism on two of them.  Two of my doors have a left hand hinge and the third is right hand.  The latches have to be set accordingly.
The cold spell finally broke on Saturday December 3rd.  It only went down to about -25 overnight and then during the day Saturday it got up to as high as -3.  I spent the day working in the cottage yet again.  I set up a jig and routed the hinge mortises in the edges of the doors.  Then I lightly sanded out the filler that I had applied to all the joints and nail holes the day prior.  This was not a finish sanding, but just smoothing things out enough to run a router over the surface.  Then I switched to a beading bit in the router and finished the edges of all the raised panels.  I discovered that I don't have a chamfering bit and will have to pick one up to bevel the door edges.  I also discovered that I left my palm sander in the city, so final sanding will have to wait until next time. 













No comments: