Friday, December 16, 2022

Moqui Marbles

Here's an old one from my archives.  I shot this on a Spring Break Trip that the girls and I took to Utah in April of 2014.  I guess these ironstone nodules naturally collect at the edges of the sandstone polygons.  A rather unique natural phenomenon.  This shot was taken at a place called The White Pocket.  It is miles out in the wilderness, over loose sand trails.  We hired an outfitter to take us in as sometimes the sand can be a little treacherous.  This is actually just over the Utah border in northern Arizona, within the boundaries of the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument.
I shot this with my Ebony 4x5 view camera and a Fujinon 125mm lens, fitted with a red filter.  When I go on an extended trip like this one I typically limit myself to two types of film.  For some reason I selected to shoot Kodak T-Max 400 and Ilford Delta 100.  These are no longer favorites of mine, and I don't shoot them all that often.  The images from that trip did not turn out quite as well as I had hoped, and a different film selection may have yielded better results.  Perhaps the harsh spring light made things a little worse.  This particular shot was on Kodak T-Max 400, exposed at 500 iso, and processed in T-Max developer.



No comments: