Thursday, November 25, 2021

Mistaya

These past few days I processed a couple of batches of 4x5 sheet film.  The first was yet another batch of Ilford FP4 in Perceptol developer.  This time around I reduced the development time a little and used stock strength, rather than diluting it 1:1 with water.  The result was the same, and if anything perhaps slightly worse... more blue/purple staining.  This will be my last attempt at using Perceptol and I will move on to something else.  Hopefully the images are not ruined and I can print through the stain.  The stain doesn't really show up in the scans, so I'm hopeful they won't in the prints either.
This shot of the Mistaya River in Mistaya Canyon in Banff National Park brings back some memories.  I was photographing there with my friend Rob in June of 2020.  Water levels were very high everywhere as the mountain runoff was in full swing.  At this spot I was right beside the rushing torrent of the river.  The water was shooting over this rock ledge at tremendous speed... like cars zipping by on the highway.  Anyone or anything that fell into the water would have been shot down into the canyon with great force and pulverized to bits.  A still image really doesn't do justice to the force of nature that was evident on this day.



No comments: