Saturday, November 13, 2021

The Drive Home

I left Nordegg on the morning of Monday November 8th.  I left fairly early in the day as I wanted to make it a leisurely drive home, and maybe stop along the way with my camera.  We are only a few weeks from the shortest day of the year and there is a nice low side light all day long.  It was mostly a cloudless sky and the clear fall light was very pleasing.
I scouted around a little along the Cowboy Trail to see if I could find access to the river.  But all the roads were gated and that was not possible.  A little further north, near the junction with Highway 53 I stopped to shoot the edge of a pine forest.  I had seen this spot in passing many times in the past, but never been compelled to stop.  This time with the beautiful low light I decided to go for it.  I took a shot here with my 4x5 camera on black and white film, as well as a few phone snapshots.
I also stopped at an old house near Rimbey, but the north facing front was in shadow, and it didn't make for a very good composition.  I shot it anyway with the 4x5, just to test some film and developer combinations.  I continued further east and stopped to shoot an old hilltop house beside a pond.  I had seen this one many times as well.  Once I was tempted to shoot it in winter, as there was herd of deer down in front of it, with fresh snow, in evening light.  But, it was -25C that time, and I chickened out.  This time there were no deer and there was no snow, but I shot it anyway.







No comments: