Sunday, November 21, 2021

November Snow

I woke up on Monday November 15th to snow.  Not a lot, but there was about half an inch on the ground, and it snowed lightly through most of the day.  By the time it got dark there was about an inch.  The forecast had called for it to get up to +6, but it never made it above freezing.  Between that and the cold wind out of the northeast, there was no melting taking place.  This time it feels like winter might be here to stay.  There is more snow in the forecast so I will have to decide when I want to head back home to the city.
Despite the poor weather and crappy road conditions, my plumber Leonard and his helper made it out to Nordegg.  They roughed in the plumbing vents for me, so now I can carry on with insulation and vapor barrier.
The next big stumbling block is the siding.  I need that on so that I can cut through all the exterior wall penetrations... intakes, exhaust vents, electrical receptacles, lights and the power supply.  The sooner I can get to that the better.  Once this is done, then there is nothing stopping me from finishing all the inside walls and ceilings.  In the short term I can start on the high ceiling and some of the bedroom walls.  So I am not at a standstill and have lots of work to keep me busy.  But I am kind of anxious to get the meter base mounted and the power supply run into the building.  Then I can energize some of the circuits and not have to keep stringing an extension cord.  Beggars can't be choosers....!!!  A few weeks ago it was looking like I wouldn't be able to get the guest cottage closed in for winter.  Now I am done to the point that I can work inside in relative comfort, even though some things are a little limited.
This is a panoramic snap shot I took this afternoon with my phone.  The guest cottage is barely visible, through the trees on the left side, behind the firepit and the adirondack chairs.
It seems it has wintered in.  There was even more snow on Monday night into Tuesday morning, and we ended up with about 2 to 3 inches.  The skies cleared late Tuesday afternoon and it is forecast to get very cold over night.  I've decided I will head back to the city on Wednesday morning.  Hopefully the roads are in a little better shape by then.  The forecast is calling for below freezing temperatures for the next week, so it seems likely this snow will stay.



No comments: