Monday, October 17, 2016

Treeline

I have finished up processing most of my negatives from the recent Assiniboine trip.  I think there are something like four T-Max 100 negatives left to go.  I need to wait until I shoot some more of this film, so that there is a large enough batch to justify mixing up the chemistry.  I still have about 20 sheets of Fuji Neopan Acros left to do, but these are basically just duplicates of the T-Max ones.  Minor differences of shutter speed and filtration, so perhaps some will be slightly stronger than some of the images I have shared so far...
Over this past weekend, with the onset of more snowy and winter like conditions, I retreated to my darkroom and continued processing my backlog.  This weekend I set up my Jobo Processor and began running some Ilford Delta 100 and Kodak Tri-X Pan in PMK developer.  Most of this stuff dates back to 2014 and 2015, but there is a little bit of newer stuff mixed in.  I've already processed 40 sheets of film, and there are still about a hundred to go.  Once these are done, I will return to the last of the stuff from Mt. Assiniboine.  In the mean time there are a few more negatives that I have processed and scanned that are worth a closer look.  I think this is one of them....
This is a shot taken at tree line on the shoulder of the Nublet.  Assiniboine in visible to the left, and the dark face of Sunburst Peak dominates the right center.  In the foreground there are some outcropping rocks, and a scattering of alpine larches, just beginning to turn color.  This was taken with a 150mm lens on my Ebony 4x5 view camera.  This is considered a normal lens for this format.  I used a #8 Yellow filter to brighten up the larches a little, to intensify the shadows slightly, and to darken the sky a bit and create a bit of separation from the clouds.  I think it worked fairly well.
I've been getting a lot of positive feedback on my recently posted Assiniboine Panorama image and I think that negative will be brought out in the coming weeks to try and achieve a fine print.  I'll see what sort of response this image gets.
I also have about 20 sheets of color transparency film that I shot on the Assiniboine trip.  While I have the Jobo processor set up I will also mix up some E-6 chemistry and process these.  


No comments: