Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Blast from the Past

Over the past couple of weeks I have attempted to catch up on developing my backlog of unprocessed film.  Most of this is from 2015 and 2016, but there are still a couple dozen sheets from 2014.  Most of the old stuff is Ilford Delta and Kodak Tri-X that requires development in PMK.  As this developer works best with constant agitation, I find it well suited to the Jobo processor.  A few weeks ago I dug mine out of storage and set it up to begin processing all of this film.  There are over 100 sheets of Kodak Tri-X alone, so this will be an ongoing process for some time to come.  As I work through processing all of this stuff I will also be scanning and posting some of the better images.  Many are duplicates of previous images that were taken on other types of film and processed in other developers.  But some are new... so at the very least I will be sharing those.
This particular one goes back to November of 2014.  This was the annual Fall Photo Weekend, an annual outing with some of my friends from the Monochrome Guild.  This is an Edmonton-based group of film photographers that I found over a decade ago.  We get together casually about 10 times a year to discuss photography, share our work, and work on group projects.  One of our major projects is a fall outing every year, usually to the mountains, where we get away for a few days to make photographs.  This particular image was taken with my Ebony 4x5 view camera on Kodak Tri-X Pan film.  I exposed it at 400 iso and gave plus development in PMK.  PMK is a staining pyro based developer created by California photographer Gordon Hutchings.  I find that many of my best negatives and those that more often than not get printed for exhibition, were created with this combination.  This particular shot shows some sand patterns created by small plants in the blowing wind.  The wind is constant here on the dunes along Jasper Lake in Jasper National Park.


No comments: