Sunday, October 23, 2016

A Couple More

Here are two more images from Mt. Assiniboine.  I don't feel that these are quite as strong as some of those that I've previously posted... but they're not bad.  This first one was taken on our last full day at the Lodge.  This was the day of overcast skies, cool weather, and on and off drizzle.  We started out the day with a group hike up to the Niblet.  Later Margarit and I found our way down to a couple of waterholes in a meadow.  This shot shows one of those waterholes against a backdrop of fall larches and Sunburst Peak.  It's too bad the sky was so empty but perhaps that could be cropped out somewhat in a print.  This one was shot on September 17th at about 2:00 in the afternoon.  I used my 110mm lens and a #25 Red Filter.  This was Kodak T-Max 100 developed in 510 Pyro.


I've included this next image because it was a first attempt at something different for me...  Obviously this is Mt. Assiniboine.  After dinner on September 18th, as we walked back to our cabin, Margarit and I noticed that the moon was rising and that the illumination on the peaks was quite intense.  I set up my camera on the front deck of our cabin, and used a 200mm Nikkor M lens to key in on Assiniboine, with a bit of Magog Lake and the surrounding peaks visible through the trees.  This was shot on Fuji Neopan Acros 100 film, processed in Rodinal developer 1:50.  I took a spot meter reading of the moonlight that was glowing of the snowcapped peak of Assiniboine.  Based on that I made a guess as to what the exposure might need to be.  Then as the last glow of daylight in the sky began to fade, I realised that a little more exposure might be in order.  I ended up using a aperture of F16.0 and a shutter speed of 45 minutes.  This obviously showed the movement in the overhanging tree branches but yielded an image that is quite different.  You can see a couple of faint star trails in the sky... or maybe those were passing aircraft... not sure.  Though I do seem to remember seeing a bright star in the location of one of these trails.


No comments: