Saturday, October 15, 2016

Assiniboine Panorama

Back to showing some of the stronger images from the recent trip to Mt. Assiniboine.  Weather conditions have remained poor here in central Alberta.  We got hit with yet another dump of snow, this time around 4 inches.  Local farmers are struggling as about 1/3 of the crop remains in the fields to be harvested.  This is going to set things back for them at least a couple of weeks.  Also not much opportunity to get out and do anything photographic with such overcast and flat light.  Instead I've been working in the darkroom processing my backlog of film.  This one, in my opinion, is one of the stronger images from Assiniboine.  I shot it with my 4x5 view camera, but cropped it to panoramic proportions.  It was taken on September 15th, with an 80mm lens and a #25 Red Filter.  The red filter eliminates blue light.  Shadows are predominantly blue light reflected from the open sky so these are darkened by the filter, increasing contrast.  Haze is mostly blue and UV light, which is also eliminated with this Red filter, making the distant peaks sharper.  I shot this one on Kodak T-Max 100 film, and processed in 510 Pyro developer.
During our stay up at the lodge Margarit and I shared a dinner table with a group of six ladies.  We got to know them reasonably well over the four days we were there and enjoyed their company.  They were all friends and were out together on the trip to do some hiking.  Four were from Seattle, one from Denver and one from Phoenix.  They were all curious to see some of my images from this trip so I gave them my card with a link to my blog and to my Flickr account.  Hopefully they have found it and are getting a chance to see some of the work that I am posting.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish you had a heart emoticon. I'd have used it here! Love that pic Rob.

Robert S Pohl said...

Its been a hit here on my blog and on my Flickr account. Thanks for the compliment Chris...