Monday, October 10, 2016

Falls at Wonder Pass

I am returning to posting some of my stronger images from the September trip to Mt. Assiniboine.  With the onset of winter weather here in Alberta on our Thanksgiving Long Weekend, I have mostly been working in the darkroom processing film, and scanning negatives.  I've started processing a few from the trip last weekend down to the badlands, as well as the Assiniboine stuff.  I have most of the T-Max 100 negatives now processed, with just a handful remaining.  I have also started on the duplicate images that I shot on Fuji Neopan Acros 100.  These were the only two films that I had available in the now discontinued ReadyLoad format, and thus the only films that I brought along on the trip.  I have both versions of this image processed and thought the Acros one was slightly stronger.  It showed slightly better detail and tonality both at the low end of the scale, in the shadows, and in the highlights.  This little waterfall was brightly backlit with the sun immediately behind and above the falls, as I captured these images.
This is a small waterfall on the upper reaches of Gog Creek, up near the continental divide at Wonder Pass.  The peak that is visible in the background is Wonder Peak.  My previously posted shot of the Eddy was taken just above this little waterfall, not more than about 100 feet from this spot.  After I took this image, and the duplicate, Margarit and I sat down to have our lunch.  We looked at each other as we began unpacking our lunches and I commented to Margarit... "this probably isn't very bright".  There was evidence in multiple places all over the hillside above us, where bears had been digging.  Down by the creek we were concealed and somewhat captive in the little valley.  If a bear came upon us over the ridge, we would have been trapped.  We decided to move a little further up into the meadow above the falls and had our lunch there.  We never did see any bears on this day, but had a wonderful afternoon exploring up in this high country.  We were near the treeline... the alpine larches were turning color... and it was a beautiful, clear fall day.
This image was taken with my Schneider Super Symmar 80mm lens, which is a wide angle lens for 4" x 5" large format.  I used a #25 Red Filter to increase contrast.  I did my best to shade the front of my lens with my hand, trying to avoid any glare or lens flare from the backlight.  The negative was processed in Rodinal developer, diulted 1:50, for 11:00 minutes at 24C.  I think it worked pretty well.


No comments: