Friday, March 15, 2024

Washed Ashore

Through the latter part of February, and into March, I've continued running my Jobo film processor.  I usually set up this apparatus about once a year, and then run all the film that I have accumulated since the last go around.  In between running batches of film I have been puttering around on various other chores.  Some stuff for the Beer Parlour Project, Monochrome Guild and Apparitions, all photography related projects that require significant attention.  I've been busy with trying to fill the roster for my Renegades hockey team, and getting registered for the summer season.  On top of all that I just returned from a quick trip down to East Coulee.  My oldest daughter Hailey will be moving there for the summer to work and we are in the early stages of getting her set up.
On February 25th I ran a batch of Kodak Tri-X Pan 320 4" x 5" sheet film on my Jobo Processor.  The film was given N+1 development.  This is extended development to increase contrast by one stop, and is generally reserved for images that were shot in flatter light.  The development time was increased from the normal 9:35 minutes to 16:40 minutes, at 20 degrees C.  All twenty of the sheets in this batch were exposed during the trip to Vancouver Island last fall.
This particular shot is of the hull of an old boat that washed ashore near Union Bay on Vancouver Island.  I thought that this image might work for the Apparitions project.  That project is a collection of photographs that depict a human presence, without people included in the image.  I shot this on October 23rd at about 2:00 in the afternoon.  I used my Ebony view camera and a slightly wide 125mm lens.  A red filter was used in an attempt to increase contrast, and the plus development pushed  that even further.  It had become overcast and the light was rather flat on this afternoon.  The exposure was at F20.0, to hold depth of field, resulting in a shutter speed of 1/8 second.



No comments: