Friday, March 22, 2024

Making Lasagna

Two or three times a year I get the inclination to make a big batch of lasagna.  I don't want to pump my own tires, but it usually turns out pretty good, and I get compliments, and requests for more.  This time around I spent 185 bucks to buy all the foil pans and ingredients and make several tubs full.  In the afternoon of March 18th I made one big pan for us to have right away, and three more for us to freeze for future use.  I also made two small pans for Hailey to take with her this summer when she moves down to East Coulee to work.  
I used four boxes of lasagna noodles, four pounds of lean ground beef, two large cans of diced tomatoes, two cans of tomato paste, three jars of pasta sauce, fresh basil, fresh spinach, two tubs of dry cottage cheese, and about eight pounds of shredded cheese, a mix of mozza, cheddar and parm.
By the time I finished making the sauce, cooking the noodles and building everything, it was too late in the evening to bake one for dinner.  And, the next day, Helena came down with the flu, so we ended up holding off a little longer on the first one.  The rest all hit the freezer for future use.
Before stowing them all in the freezer I weighed one of the big pans, and it came in at 6-1/2 pounds.  Should be good for a big feed for the whole family, plus some leftovers.  I can't wait...!





No comments: