Thursday, March 21, 2024

Aspen and Dark Forest

On February 26th I set up my Jobo Processor once again, and ran another batch of Kodak Tri-X Pan 320.  This was a batch of twenty 4 x 5 sheets.  This batch was given N+1 Development in PMK Developer.  The extended development time of 16:40 minutes increased contrast in this batch of images, all shot under low contrast lighting conditions.  I will share this and a handful of other scans from that batch, in the coming days.
About this time last year I was driving along the David Thompson Highway, west of my cottage, near the Bighorn First Nation.  This tree beside the highway caught my eye.   It was catching a little bit of afternoon light and really stood out against the dark evergreen trees behind it.  I also really liked the shape of the tree as I thought the sweeping shape showed much more character than the typical sticklike aspens and pines that mostly grown in this area.  I stopped on the side of the highway and set up my view camera.
I took this shot on March 9th 2023, at about 2:30 in the afternoon.  I used my Ebony view camera and a slightly wide 125mm lens.  A #25 Red Filter made the shaded background fall off, while the extended development raised the values of the aspen.



No comments: