Tuesday, May 4, 2021

April Game Camera Photos

More of the usual photographs.  Mostly the deer that hang around our property.  These photographs, all taken between April 6th and 30th, show the range of weather that we experienced through the month.  There were over 1400 pictures taken by the game camera over these 24 days.  Nine of the more interesting ones are included below.  
One of the White Tail Doe's has an issue.  Her belly is hanging abnormally low.  There is a small gash in her flank on the left side.  I suspect that she may have lost her fawn... maybe due to some sort of accident or attack by a predator.  She seems to be able to run around just fine, so hopefully she survives without issue.  I also have a photograph of the same doe, taken with my digital camera, in a previous blog post.
In one of the photographs I can be seen walking right up to the deer.  I actually got a fair bit closer to them than this, before they spooked.  They are becoming quite tame and very used to me.  They will walk right up to the window of the cottage and stare at me, hoping I will put out some oats.  If I'm outside, and they are around, I talk calmly to them and they seem to remain quite relaxed.
I only put out a little feed for them through the coldest months of the winter.  Once things warm up they are on their own, and there is no shortage of food for them.  They seem to really have enjoyed grazing most of the pine seedlings that we planted last summer.  Once the bears come out of hibernation we do not want any feed around to attract them.











No comments: