Saturday, October 24, 2020

Satellite Motel

I continue to take photographs of old neon signs.  Several older motels in Medicine Hat have interesting old signs.  Must have been a prolific neon sign business in town back in the day.  I shot this one on Ilford HP5 film when the girls and I were passing through town back in August..  The motel itself is still a going concern and has been modernized and upgraded somewhat over the years.  But the sign is very dated and cool.  This sheet of large format film was processed in 510 Pyro developer.  This is a staining developer that provides sharpness and edge definition while retaining highlight values.  I quite like it, with a number of different films.
I think I now have photographs of about eight or nine different signs.  Some of them no longer exist.  I know of at least a couple more that I need to get out and photograph.  I will probably continue to collect images for this project for many years to come.  At some point I will have enough to put together a formal photo essay and perhaps some sort of exhibition.  Or maybe I wait until I have twelve and use them on my annual calendar.  We'll see what the future brings. 



No comments: