Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Museum Church for Apparitions.

In early February I set up my Jobo processor and commenced running numerous batches of film.  The Jobo that I have been using for nearly 20 years finally gave up on me.  But I had a backup unit that I bought on Ebay some years ago, and got that running earlier this winter.  I've now run about eight batches of film with it, and it has been working fine.  I think I have another batch or two of 4x5 black and white film left to run, and then I will switch over to some color stuff and some 8x10.
I like to use this processor with PMK Pyro Developer and with Perceptol Developer as both require vigorous agitation.  The processor is also ideal for color as it maintains all the chemistry at the required high processing temperature, with a water bath.
On February 20th I ran twenty sheets of Kodak Tri-X Pan 320 4" x 5" in PMK Pyro Developer.  The processing time for normal development was 9:35 minutes at 20C.  This was a mixed batch that included some images from the trip last fall to Vancouver Island, as well as some older stuff from closer to home.
This shot of an old abandoned church was taken at a now closed historic village north of Edmonton.  We had permission from the landowner to go in and photograph, and I thought that some of the images might work nicely for the Apparitions project that I'm involved in with my friend Arturo.  Apparitions is a selection of images that depict a human presence, without any people included in the images.
I took this shot on August 16th of 2022 at about 2:00 in the afternoon.  I shot it with one of my Ebony view cameras and a wide 125mm lens.  A #25 Red Filter was used to increase contrast.  In hindsight I obviously did not pay enough attention to the camera movements.  The significant rise that I imparted on the front standard resulted in the upper corners falling slightly outside of the image circle projected by the lens.  The result was the obvious vignetting that is visible.  In this case it gives a bit of an old fashioned look to the image, though in printing I would probably dodge those corners down a little to soften the effect.



No comments: