Monday, January 15, 2024

Nash Metropolitan

I found this old car beside the highway in southern Alberta when Margarit and I were out on a road trip last summer with Arturo and Sharon.  We were shooting the Turner Valley Gas Plant, and a few other locations for the Apparitions project.  One morning I headed out early to take some photographs while the others stayed behind at the rental house and slept in.  I returned to this old car, that we had spotted the evening before.
The Nash Metrolpolitan was assembled in England.  It was produced from 1954 to 1962.  It was called the Hudson Metropolitan from 1954 to 1957, and later the Metropolitan by American Motors, from 1958 to 1962.  It was a tiny little vehicle with a wheel base of just over seven feet [85"] and an overall length of just over twelve feet [149-1/2"].  It was available with either a 1.2L or a 1.5L engine.  I'm not sure exactly which model this one is, so perhaps some research is in order.  I believe this one is the Series III version, produced in 1958...?
This is more just a record shot as opposed to any sort of fine art photograph.  I am reminded of my childhood growing up in the Lendrum neighborhood in Edmonton in the late 1960's as a little old lady at the senior's lodge on the end of our street drove one of these.....



No comments: