Thursday, January 4, 2024

Beaverdam

On January 2nd I took my camera over to Beaverdam Lake.  This lake is essentially just the widening of Shunda Creek.  I knew that the lake itself was mostly frozen over, as this is evident from the highway.  But I also knew that the creek, where it exits the lake, usually does not freeze.  This is partially because there are some small rapids here, as the creek tumbles over a natural dam of rock as it exits the lake.  But it is also because there is quite a bit of sulfur in the water, evident by the smell of rotten eggs.  I assume that this sulfur is coming off one of the many coal seams in the area.
This spot is only a ten minute drive from the cottage so it is quick and easy to get to.  At this time of year, before we have had any bitter cold weather, there are usually some cool ice formations on the rocks.  I was not disappointed.
It was a clear day, with almost no clouds, but the temperature didn't get up nearly as high as it has in recent days.  This time around it only made it up to about +2C.  And, the creek itself is down in the shade of some heavy evergreen forest, so there was not much direct light.  I always find that it is a lot colder down near open water due to the elevated humidity.  This was probably the coldest I have been taking photographs during this current fall and winter season. I suppose it was about the same at Athabasca Falls in Jasper back in mid November.
I only spent an hour or so down by the creek and managed to set up the view camera a couple of times.  My first shots of the 2024 calendar year...!












No comments: