Thursday, August 31, 2023

Flooring Installation Continues

With the exception of a round of golf on Sunday August 20th, I worked full time in the guest cottage pretty much every day.  I continued with installation of the vinyl floor tiles.  This was a somewhat drawn out process as the screw holes and joints in the subfloor have to first be filled.  Then, everything had to be vacuumed free of dust to allow for tile installation.  The tiles that I have are self-adhesive, peel and stick tiles, but I don't really trust the adhesive.  So I have been using a trowel applied adhesive in addition to the adhesive that is already on the tiles.  This makes for some messy work, as I tend to get the glue all over everything...!  But I think in the long run it will be the right choice and I the tiles will adhere better.
On Wednesday I put the base for the microwave cabinet in place and fitted the tiles in around it.  Later I realized that I hadn't allowed enough space for the range, as the counter tops overhung the cabinets a little.  So I had to rip out the base, move it over about an inch, and then redo the tiles around it.
On Thursday August 24th my former neighbor Dan came over and helped me to lift the range into place.  Once this was done I was able to set the microwave cabinet and its section of countertop properly into position.  Surprisingly everything fit really well....!
During the course of the day I made a batch of pork back ribs.  This was in advance of the arrival of Margarit and Helena, who were coming out that evening.  First I baked them in the oven at low temperature for a couple of hours.  Then I moved them over to the smoker for an hour and a half more.  Finally I slathered them with barbecue sauce and finished them on the grill.  They turned out really well, and everyone enjoyed them, but there was a lot left over for another day.










No comments: