Monday, August 28, 2023

Floor Installation Commences

By late morning on Saturday August 19th the fog began to lift.  The sun started to burn through and the clouds lifted.  Showers threatened off and on during the day but it was partly sunny all day long.  By late afternoon when Coliseum Mountain was again visible, the snowline from the day prior had receded to near the top.  It was just above freezing and very cool when I first got up, but by afternoon it warmed up nicely to about +15C.
My first job was to do some prep work in the guest cottage for installation of the new flooring.  I swept out the kitchen area and the bathroom.  Then I vacuumed those floors.  Then I vacuumed again, with a different attachment, and made sure that I got all the sawdust out of the screw holes and joints.  After that I applied some filler to all the screw holes and joints in this area.  This stuff takes several hours to dry, so while that was taking place I did a couple of other things.  
I picked up a bear proof garbage bin that I had ordered.  This was through the Community Association and they were sponsoring part of the cost.  It looks like a regular garbage bin but it has a metal rim and a locking lid.  I think it should work just fine.
Then later in the afternoon I split and stacked a bunch of firewood.  I filled the pile that I started to make last fall, over by the garage.  Now I just have two other piles to finish up, and hope to chip away at those over the rest of my stay.  I never cease to be amazed at how much firewood we go through over the winter months.
Later in the afternoon I went back to work in the guest cottage and started to install some of the floor tile.  Now that I see these laid out in the room I think that the "50's Diner Decore" that we are attempting, will work out really well.  The tiles that I bought are self adhesive, but I don't fully trust that.  They seem like old stock as the masking on the back is difficult to peel.  I am using some flooring adhesive in addition to the glue that is already on the tiles.  Needless to say this is a slow process as not only does the peeling of the backing take a long time, but the glue has to be spread as well.
I quite working about 5:30 and fired up the grill.  I threw on a steak and a baked potato and had a couple of cold beers while supper was cooking.  On Sunday I shall continue with more of the same.....






No comments: