Saturday, December 3, 2016

Zion Wash

Let's get back to some more Black and White...!  I like playing around with large format color photography, but it is not the main focus of my work.  On average I only shoot about 25 sheets of color film per year, and that is a combination of negative and positive film.  By ccomparison, I have exposed over 400 sheets of black and white film per year, over the last several years.  So far in 2016 I have shot over 500 sheets.  Hopefully no one is laughing too hard at the color balance of some of my recent posts as I really struggle with that, given the fact that I am color blind to several colors.  All the more reason to focus, no pun intended... on black and white.
This shot is a recent scan of a scene that I photographed some time ago.  This was during a trip down to Utah in October of 2015 with my friends Rob and Brad.  It was a very wet year in southern Utah and northern Arizona with flash floods, washouts and all sorts of heavy rainfall issues.  The worst of it occurred before we arrived but we experienced some wet conditions while we were there, and even some snow up in the high country around the Cedar Breaks.  Although that limited some of our photographic and hiking opportunities, it did result in standing water in a lot of locations, which is always very photogenic.
During this and a previous trip to the Zion National Park we avoided the main Virgin River Canyon as it was just too busy.  Despite the late point in the season, there were a lot of people around... way too many for the liking of a crotchety old fart like me...!  The main road is closed to vehicles and you can only access it by riding a transit service up the valley to the various viewpoints.  Not a lot of fun with a big camera on my back and a big tripod in my hands.  I'm not a fan of jockeying for position at a scenic viewpoint and having to beat people out of my way with my tripod.  Instead we stayed in the eastern uplands of Zion National Park, where this shot was taken.  It was still very busy, but there was enough room to park along the road, more or less where we pleased, and wander around.
This shot was taken on Kodak Tri-X Pan film, with my Ebony view camera and a Fujinon 240mm lens.  I processed the film with extended development for increased contrast, in PMK developer.


No comments: