Sunday, December 11, 2016

REO and White 3000

Here's another new image.  This one was taken back in late October when I was out to a junk yard in central Alberta with my friends Chris and Connie.  In the foreground we have an REO truck.  This one is not the typical Speedwagon pickup but rather was a heavier farm truck.  In the background we have a White 3000 truck.  The frame of this one was extended to accommodate a larger than usual grain box.  Both are sitting abandoned in the trees... mostly forgotten.
For this trip I was out with my new, used Ebony camera.  I bought an Ebony SV45TE camera back in the summer of 2012 and that has been my main camera ever since.  Recently Ebony of Japan announced that they are no longer going to produce cameras.  I understand that this is a small company, with about 10 employees, and the owner wants to retire.  He could not find a buyer for his operation so will be shutting down after he completes all work on hand.  Sounds a lot like my work situation as I have a small skylight company with about 10 employees, and after 35 years in the business, I'm starting to think about my future.  In any event, I missed out on the Ebony announcement, which immediately drove up prices of the cameras on the used market.  I managed to find an Ebony SV45TU out of Japan on Ebay and got it at a reasonable price.  This day trip out to the junk yard was my first trip out with the camera.  The SV45TU is very similar to my SV45TE, with the exception of the rear standard.  The rear standard of the TU has asymmetrical movements, which probably doesn't mean much to the laymen, but makes some difference in practice.  I will put together a future blog post that outlines the differences between these two cameras.
This shot was taken on Kodak Tri-X Pan film with the new used camera and a Nikkor W 150mm lens.  I processed the film in PMK, giving extra development time to increase contrast.


1 comment:

Chris BIGDoer Doering said...

That yard was a blast to shoot! So enjoyed it, could have stayed all day and the next day too. The weird orderly chaos of the place was so very interesting.