Friday, December 16, 2016

Main Street

Here's a new one, from a recent batch of Kodak 400 T-Max that I processed.  This batch of large format 4" x 5" sheet film was exposed at 640 iso, meaning it received 2/3 stop LESS exposure than the manufacturer's rated box speed.  I processed the film for an estimated development time of 9:30 minutes in Kodak X-Tol developer, diluted 1:1, at 22C.  This was experimental for me, and I think the result speaks for itself.  I may give slightly more development in the future, just to punch up the contrast a little.  This one looks OK, as it was shot in some gorgeous November afternoon side light.  But a couple others in the same batch, shot in more typical lighting, were at touch flat.  
This image was taken with a Schneider Symmar XL 80mm wide angle lens with the intention of cropping to the panoramic proportions shown here.  This was on the weekend that friends Chris and Connie were visiting from Calgary, and we were out exploring.  This is Center Street in the slowly dying town of Hairy Hill, Alberta.  Over a hundred years ago when the bison herds were still prominent in this area, they came to the nearby hills in the spring and rubbed their winter coats off on the bushes and shrubs.  This is apparently how the town got its rather unique name.
This was only the second or third day trip out with my new, used, Ebony SV45TU camera.  One of these days I will get around to a blog post to explain the differences between it and my trusty old SV45TE that I have been shooting with since 2012.


No comments: