Thursday, December 1, 2016

South Coyote Buttes

Here's a scan of another 4" x 5" color transparency.  This was part of the recently processed batch of E-6.  I've attempted to correct the color here, but the original scan is pretty wonky.  I used a Blue/Orange color polarizing filter on the lens which gave a pretty wild color shift to begin with.  The film itself expired back in 2010, so there is probably some shift due to age.  The E-6 chemistry kits that I used on this batch were fairly old as well.  There was no best before date on the packaging but I know that I bought one of the kits two years ago and the other last year.  To top it all off, I am somewhat color blind so my attempt at making these colors more realistic is probably not overly successful.  Maybe I should just stick to black and white....
This shot was taken in October of 2015 in the South Coyote Buttes in Arizona.  My friends Rob and Brad were hiking with me there in the permit area.  It had been very wet in the fall of 2015 down in southern Utah and northern Arizona.  Some of the places that we wanted to go to were inaccessible due to roads being washed out, or closed due to risk of flash floods.  The upside was that the loose sand of the Paria Plateau was damp and firm, which made driving in a lot easier.  It also created lots of small pools of standing water, like the ones in this shot.  This was taken on Fujichrome Velvia with my Ebony 4x5 camera and a Fujinon 125mm lens.


1 comment:

Chris BIGDoer Doering said...

That's stunning! Me thinks you should do more like this.