Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Blackstone Pebbles

I'm a little undecided about this one.  I took this detail shot out along the Blackstone River last fall.  Margarit and I were out for a day trip and headed west on the Chungo Road.  We made a stop down along the Blackstone and I liked the way the low fall light was showing texture and contrast on the riverside pebbles.  I'm not sure if I like the Color or the Black and White version better.
The color version is from the batch of E-6 color transparencies that I processed on my Jobo on March 16th.  I shot this on October 8th 2023 at about 1:30 in the afternoon.  I used my Ebony view camera and a long 300mm lens to get in tight on the pebbles.  This required a little extra exposure as a result of the long bellows draw of the close focus.  This was a sheet of long expired Fujichrome Velvia 50, rated at 40 iso.  Despite the film being a dozen years past its best before date, the color balance held up nicely.  Probably because I chose not to use the goofy color polarizing filter like I often do.
The Black and White version was a sheet of Ilford FP4, rated at 160 iso and given plus development in HC-110 Developer.  The exposure for this one was F25.0 and 1/15 second.  I neglected to write down the exposure that I used on the color version, but at two stops difference in film speed it was likely just a reduction in shutter speed to 1/4 second.





No comments: