Tuesday, February 13, 2024

West Lawn Columns

I attempted to process some film recently using my Jobo Processor.  I only use this piece of equipment once or twice per year.  It uses special film drums that are mechanically agitated in a temperature controlled water bath.  I find that the continuous agitation is well suited to developers such as PMK and Perceptol.  The temperature controlled water bath is a must for color processes such as E-6 and C-41.  When I set up the processor last week I found that the agitation motor was burnt out, a common issue with these machines.  Some years ago I bought a second one, used on Ebay, as a backup.  So I dug that one out and got it set up instead.  Fortunately everything works on that one and I was able to proceed.  I did have to switch over a lift mechanism, but it seems I am back in business.  Once this backup gives up the ghost I will have to make a decision... whether or not to invest in a new one, to the tune of over $5,000, or figure out some other method.

With the processor up and running is decided to develop a batch of 4" x 5" Kodak Tri-X Pan film that I shot while out on Vancouver Island last October.  I develop this film in PMK, which is a pyro based staining developer similar to 510 Pyro.  But this one requires very vigorous, continuous agitation and is thus well suited to the Jobo.  Development time for a normal scale negative is 9:35 minutes at 20C.

These columns are at the front entrance of the West Lawn Building at the now abandoned Riverview Mental Hospital in Vancouver.  It is a rather eerie place that has been the set for some horror movies in the past.  It felt particularly ominous when I was there with my friends Chris and Artuor, as it was just a few days before Halloween, and there were a lot of people around, some in costume.  I shot this on October 28th 2023 at about 4:00 in the afternoon.  I used my Ebony view camera and a slightly wide 125mm lens.



No comments: