Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Saturday Workday

I didn't sleep well on Friday night.  I went to bed early, around 9:30, because I was cold and tired.  I woke up around 12:30 and couldn't get back to sleep.  The windy conditions that we had all day on Friday got a lot worse and it got REALLY windy overnight.  At one point in the middle of the night the TV came on... probably a power surge.  I eventually fell asleep again around 3:30, and then slept in until after 9:30.
I got a fire going in the guest cottage around 11:00 and set to work finishing more of the aspen boards.  It started out kind of sunny, but quickly clouded over and became very gloomy.  I had to turn the work light on in the guest cottage even in the middle of the day.  It started snowing heavily around lunch time and snowed all day.  After a couple of hours the snow became finer and lighter, but we ended up with additional accumulation of about 1-1/2 inches.  It finally quit around sundown, and the skies partly cleared after dark.
I finished the final two coats on the eight boards that I started on Friday.  Then I did 16 more boards during the course of the day, each with four coats of lacquer.  Late in the day I managed to get two more coats on an additional eight boards.  I'm approaching the half way mark on the boards I brought out, and have used about 3/4 of the first pail of lacquer.
The grain in some of the boards is just beautiful.  I'm trying to set aside some of the nicer ones to use in the most prominent locations.
Late in the evening, just as I was packing up, one of the White Tail Bucks came wandering through the woods behind the cottage.  He was only about 20 feet away from me, and didn't see me watching him through the window.





No comments: