Thursday, December 16, 2021

Plugging Along

On Sunday December 12th I continued with more of the same.  I lit the fire in the cottage in the morning to warm the place and then spent the entire day working on applying yet more lacquer.  By the time it got dark in the evening I had about 2/3 of the boards finished.  
All of the neighbors that were out for the weekend headed for home on Sunday afternoon.  By evening it was gloriously quiet and no one was around.
On Monday morning I hit repeat and started the same process all over again.  My friend Jon drove out from Edmonton on Monday, and he arrived around lunch time.  I continued with some finishing in the afternoon, and Jon puttered around on wiring in a couple of shut off switches for me.  In the evening we retreated to the main cottage and I made us a dinner of prime rib, mashed potatoes, gravy and steamed beans.  It was really good and we stayed up until the wee hours, visiting, listening to music and having a few drinks.  The snow started up in again in the evening.  It was fairly fine, but came down steadily all night.  But we had additional accumulation of another 3/4 inch of so.  It got quite cold overnight and was around -21C in the morning just before the sun came up.
With Jon's help I planned on installing aspen paneling to the high ceiling.  Once we got a fire going to get the chill out of the cottage we got started.   We managed to get around 30 boards installed on the west side of the high ceiling on Tuesday.  That is about 1/3 of the west side.  So, it seems it will take three days to do half of the ceiling.  Maybe we will get a little faster once we get into more.





No comments: