Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Extreme Cold

Overnight on Boxing Day the temperature dropped down to -40C.  This tied the record set last January for the coldest temperature ever recorded on my weather station.  The propane fired room furnaces all froze up over night, leaving us only the wood stove for heat.  In the morning I tried to light the oven to bake some fresh buns.  But the propane seems to have gelled in the line.  An hour or two later, as the sun came up and the temperature rose to a balmy -30C, the propane started flowing again.
Later in the day the temperature actually made it up to -20C, but only very briefly.  I went outside for a while and offloaded all of the aspen paneling that I had brought out with me on the 23rd.  There were about 100 boards, enough to do the second half of the high ceiling.  Its been so cold that they just stayed in the back of the truck the past few days.
Its hard to imagine that the temperature could rise 20 degrees in less than 12 hours, and it is still frigid.  The poor deer and little birds are all struggling to survive.  I put some feed out for all of them, to help them through this deep freeze.  I also checked a couple of neighbors cottages for them.  They are not out right now and I want to make sure that their furnaces haven't quit.  So far, so good....



No comments: