Monday, August 9, 2021

Fawns

There have always been a lot of deer hanging around our property in Nordegg.  This year, around June, they became very scarce and we hardly saw them.  I think this was partly due to the fact that all the females were having babies.  But, it has also been really busy out in the subdivision with construction this year.  I think that also drove them away.
I have seen individual deer from time to time, and on a couple of occasions I saw a couple of bucks with their antlers in velvet.
On Friday August 6th I finally saw some fawns.  A mama came wandering into our yard to check out some of the birdseed that we had in our feeder.  Her twin fawns were close behind her.  They hung around in the yard for about half an hour, and I managed to get a couple of snapshots.  Surprisingly it was in the middle of the day, at around 4:00 in the afternoon.
Later that afternoon when I took a spin into town to pick up some beer I saw another doe over by Shunda Creek with a single fawn.  Hopefully they all start coming around a little more.






No comments: