Sunday, August 29, 2021

A Stroll to the Creek

Margarit, Helena and I took an ATV ride over to Shunda Creek.  We parked the ATV along the highway, and walked down a trail to the creek.  We explored down by the water for awhile, and Helena caught a toad.  Its funny that we have seen so many toads this year, and not a single frog...?  I took a photograph with my view camera.  After Helena let the toad go, we walked back up to the ATV and carried on a little further.
Once again we parked the ATV and walked down a second trail to the creek.  This one was a little longer and it was a short 15 minute stroll before we got to Shunda Falls.  This is the same spot that we have been to numerous times, including recently with Arturo and Sharon.  This particular trail leads to the opposite side of the creek.  Normally we approach from an ATV trail that allows us to drive right up to the creek.  We explored here for a while and I took another photo with my view camera.  The water level in the creek was considerably higher than when I was here last in early August.  Not really a surprise given the fact that we got 1-1/2 inches of rain over the past couple of days.  The little collection of garden gnomes were still there, beside the spruce tree, where we found them last time.  This time we also noticed some little fairies, perched on the cliff across the creek.  Not sure if these were recently added, or if we just missed them last time.
As we walked back to the ATV it started to rain yet again.  I was grateful that I finally got around to installing the roof on the ATV a couple weeks ago.  By the time we were on our way back to the cottage it had started to pour.  We all stayed reasonably dry, under the roof and behind the windshield.  I checked the rain gauge on my weather station when I got back to the cottage and we got nearly 12mm of rain in about half an hour.






No comments: