Thursday, August 12, 2021

Blackstone Again

On Monday August 9th I took a solo drive up the Trunk Road to the Blackstone River.  The last couple of times that I went I had friends or kids with me, and there was little opportunity for fishing, or for photography.  This time I planned a little of both.
The river was much clearer than it had been a week before.  I suppose that is because we haven't had any rain for a while.  The fish were not rising they way that they had been on the previous visit.  There was a New Moon the night before and I'm convinced that the feeding habits of fish are impacted by the phases of the moon.  I fished for quite a while and was about to give up when a nice trout hit my fly.  I managed to land this one, and it was a beautiful Cut Throat, about 14 inches long.  I removed the fly and released the fish, as you are not allowed to keep anything from this watershed.  Later in the afternoon I fished again for a while and had a couple more nice sized trout take my fly.  But, they both spit out the hook before I was able to bring them to shore.
I also walked up Chungo Creek and did a little photography.  I brought my Ebony 4x5 view camera with me and set it up three times, exposing a total of six sheets.  This was the first time I had done any shooting with the big camera since Arturo and I visited the abandoned chemical plant back in early July.  It felt really good to get out again with the camera.
I got back to the cottage in the late afternoon.  Later that evening my friend Arturo and his wife Sharon arrived at the cottage.  We threw together a quick meal on the BBQ and sat up visiting until the wee hours.










No comments: