Thursday, August 5, 2021

Centre Street

This is my latest watercolor.  Once again it is based on one of my photographs.  This is a veiw of Centre Street in Nordegg.  Sadly this view no longer exists.  Clearwater County, in their infinite wisdom, decided to develop the historic town site.  They cut down the trees and tore down the two background buildings.  The one furthest back was the Bighorn Trading Company Store.  The middle one was a small warehouse, possibly belonging to the store.  The foreground building is the Bank of Commerce.  It still remains, but has since been restored.  There are now streets and curbs and sidewalks and water and sewer.  There are a bunch of commercial lots for sale, but like the residential ones that the County developed over a decade ago, they sit vacant.  The old Shanks Garage was also demolished in the name of progress, as were a number of old miners houses.  The only two original buildings that remain are the bank, and the Church.  The church is immediately behind the spot where the original photograph was taken.  But all the trees that once stood around it were also cut down.
Like my other recent paintings this one is a mix of watercolor, ink and graphite.  I've lost count but I think this one is number eighteen.  I like it a lot better than the last one I attempted.










No comments: